Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- 3 larage boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil
- 1 pound(s) smoked sausage cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoon(s) margarine
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 clove(s) garlic mincee
- 1 green bell pepper seeded & chopped
- 3 stalk(s) celery chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 bunch(es) flat leaf parsley, stems & leaves coarsely chopped
- 4 cup(s) hot water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 14 ounce(s) stewed tomatoes with juice
- 2 cup(s) frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, white & green parts sliced
- 1/2 pound(s) small shrimp peeled & cooked
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove. Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of margarine and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes. Let the roux cool.
- Return the Dutch oven to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste and the 1/4 bunch parsley. Cook, while stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups hot water and bouillon cubes, whisking constantly. Add the chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and okra. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and chopped parsley.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by GeorgiaRaby and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note