Chicken and Eggplant Stacks
Community Recipe from
- 1 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts - sliced in half
- leaves from 2 rosemary springs finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggplant peeled (leaving some of skin on for texture and color) cut into 8 slices
- 8 clove(s) garlic finely chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 1 28-once can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound(s) smoked mozzarella sliced
- 8 basil leaves torn
- 1. Preheat a grill pan or countertop grill to high. Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 250 deg. Combine vinegar and 2 tablespoon of oil on a plate and coat chicken with it. Sprinkle with the rosemary, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 2. Pour 1/4 cup of oil into a small dish and brush eggplant slices on each side and season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Grill the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side and place in oven to keep warm. Grill the eggplant until tender, about 5 minutes on each side and add to chicken in oven.
- 4. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and crushed red pepper, cook until onions are tender. Add the tomatoes and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Preheat the broiler to high, remove the chicken and eggplant from oven. Assemble the stacks on the baking sheet by layering a chicken breast slice, a slice of eggplant, a little sauce and a slice of mozzarella, another chicken slice, another eggplant slice, more sauce and another slice of mozzarella. Broil the stacks until the top layer of mozzarella melts. Sprinkle with basil and serve with remaining sauce on the side.
- Notes: If you can't find smoked mozzarella in deli, I have found small packages in the specialty cheese section, I used 2 packages and sliced them at home.
- The original recipe called for chicken cutlets but the stacks didn't really stack very well, that's why i use one breast sliced in half per stack.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Bianca916 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note