Ceviche - Shrimp Cocktail
Community Recipe from
- 1 dash(es) love
- 1 quart salted water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 generous pound unpeeled small shrimp (about 41 to 50 count to a pound)
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vinegary Mexican bottled hot sauce (such as Tamazula, Valentina or Bufalo)
- About 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin (optional, but smoothes out sharpness)
- 1 cup peeled, diced cucumber or jicama (or 1/2 cup each)
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- Several lime slices, for garnish
- Tostadas or tortilla chips or saltine crackers, for serving
- Cooking and marinating the shrimp: Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Add shrimp, cover and return to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, set pot lid askew and pour off all liquid. Replace lid and set aside, letting shrimp steam in closed pot for 10 minutes. Spread out shrimp in large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely. Peel shrimp (and devein, if desired). Toss shrimp with remaining 1/2 cup lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- The flavorings: In a small strainer, rinse chopped onion under cold water, then shake off excess liquid. Add to shrimp bowl along with chopped cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber and/or jicama and avocado. Mix gently, taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate up to a few hours, or serve immediately.
- Serving the ceviche: Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini glasses or small bowls. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime. Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or saltines.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jenniferld87 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Ceviche - Shrimp Cocktail Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers