Cajun Tasso with Herbed Potatoes
Smoky pork, herbed potatoes and plenty of cheesy goodness come together in this simple, hearty meal. Smoked Pork Tasso is a Cajun smoked meat. It is the leaner, meatier cousin to bacon; similar to ham, but with a richer smoky flavor. It is cut from the shoulder of the pig and then seasoned with spices before being cured. Recipe by Mary Younkin, Barefeet in the Kitchen.
- 4 large russet potatoes, diced into 1/2" pieces, about 6 cups
- 1/4 cup(s) light flavored olive oil
- 3 tablespoon(s) minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 pound(s) Smoked Pork Tasso, cut into 1" matchsticks
- 5 - 6 cup(s) freshly shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a silpat mat or grease it very well with oil. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle the oil over them and toss with your hands to coat. Combine the chives and all the spices in a small dish and stir to combine. Sprinkle over the potatoes and then toss with your hands to distribute the spices evenly. Spread the potatoes across the baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, until tender. The potatoes should be lightly browned and crisp on the edges.
- While the potatoes are roasting, slice the tasso and place it in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the tasso about 5 minutes, until it is lightly browned and cooked through. Remove the potatoes from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. Add the potatoes to the skillet with the tasso.
- Cover the potatoes and tasso with plenty of cheese. If your skillet is not ovenproof, layer the mixture into a casserole dish. Alternatively, you can scoop individual servings into oven-safe dishes and top with cheese. Bake until the cheese has melted, 5-10 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note