Budae Jjigae 부대찌개 (Army Stew)
Community Recipe from
- 1 can(s) spam
- 2 piece(s) hot dogs
- 1 piece(s) instant ramen noodles
- 1 cup(s) rice cakes
- 1/2 piece(s) yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoon(s) gochujang (red pepper paste)
- 1 tablespoon(s) gochugaru (red pepper flakes)
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 6 cup(s) water
- 2 piece(s) scallions
- 1. Bring a large pot to a boil (about 6 cups of water) and place kimchi and sauce ingredients (gochujang, gochugaru, minced garlic, soy sauce, sugar, and diced onion). Boil for about 10 minutes to soften the kimchi and enrich the broth.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare the meats by cutting them into desired pieces. Add the pre-cut bacon and hot dog (Spam if available) and cook for another 10 minutes. Follow that with the instant ramen noodles and wait until noodles separate on their own.
- 3. When noodles have separated, taste the broth of the stew and regulate according to taste preference. This might be too spicy for some so reducing the red pepper paste and flakes or adding extra water will help alleviate this problem.
- 4. Serve immediately before noodles soften and set at the center of the table where everyone can help themselves, or plate individually into separate bowls. Eat with rice and banchan side dishes.
- *Many Koreans will also include some of the spicy sauce packet from the instant noodles (Shin Ramen being the most ideal) that can surprisingly add more depth and flavor to the stew.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by oliviajasonkim and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note