Braised Brisket with Garlic
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
- 36 clove(s) garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoon(s) red wine vinegar
- 3 cup(s) SwansonxC2xAE Beef Stock (Regular or Unsalted)
- 3 to 4 sprig(s) fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 sprig(s) fresh rosemary leaves
- Ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) minced garlic
- • Heat the oven to 325°F. Grate 1 teaspoon zest from the lemon.
- • Heat the olive oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until well browned on both sides. Remove the beef from the pan. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon pan drippings.
- • Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until golden, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar to the pan and cook and stir for 1 minute, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the stock, thyme and rosemary sprigs. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes. Season with the black pepper.
- • Return the beef to the pan. Spoon the stock mixture over the beef. Cover the pan.
- • Bake for 2 1/2 hours or until the beef is fork-tender. Baste the beef with the pan juices every 30 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan, cover and keep warm.
- • Strain the pan drippings through a sieve into a medium bowl, reserving the garlic and discarding the thyme and rosemary sprigs. Spoon off any fat.
- • Place about half the garlic cloves and about 1 cup pan drippings into a food processor or blender. Cover and process until the mixture is smooth.
- • Heat the garlic mixture, remaining garlic cloves, remaining pan drippings, chopped rosemary, minced garlic and lemon zest in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat to a boil. Cook and stir until the gravy is thickened. Serve the gravy with the beef.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note