Beef Short Ribs - Balsamic/Cherry Style
Community Recipe from
- 3 pound(s) boneless beef short ribs Room temperature
- garlic powder to taste
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 stalk(s) celery diced
- 8 clove(s) garlic whole, skin removed
- 12 baby carrots stem trimmed to 1/2 inch
- 5 small onions (golf ball size) whole, peeled
- 1 cup(s) Burgundy wine
- 8 sprig(s) fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprig(s) fresh rosemary
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup(s) root beer do not use diet
- 1/3 cup(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup(s) unsalted beef stock
- 2 cup(s) pitted frozen tart cherries thawed
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the short ribs with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Heat a dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium heat; add about 1 1/5 T of the olive oil. Sear 2-3 ribs in the hot oil until browned on all sides; set aside on a platter and repeat with remaining ribs adding another 1 1/2 T of the olive oil. Discard used oil.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to pot and saute the onions and celery until tender stirring often - about 7 minutes. Add whole peeled garlic cloves and saute for another 2 minutes. Pour in the wine and deglaze the pan – scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of pan. Bring to a boil and reduce by about half.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, sage and rosemary – stir to incorporate. Add beef stock, balsamic vinegar and root beer. Add back the short ribs and cover with the tart cherries.
- Cover the pot and place in the oven and cook until tender, about 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours. With 30 minutes remaining, remove lid and continue roasting.
- Remove the short ribs and place on a serving platter to rest. Remove the garlic cloves and whole onions from the liquid and place around the ribs on the serving platter (alternately, garlic can be spread over crusty slices of a baguette). Strain the remaining liquid to remove the herbs, cherries and vegetables and skim off the fat. Return the liquid to the pot, deglaze the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the liquid until slightly thickened and whisk in the butter to smooth out the liquid. Spoon the liquid over the short ribs and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by chiibn and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note