Community Recipe from
- 8 slice(s) bacon chopped
- 3 pound(s) stew meat cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper plus more for beef
- 1/3 cup(s) flour
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 1 pound(s) carrots, peeled and cut into 1-in pieces
- 1 pound(s) sliced button mushrooms
- 5 clove(s) garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cup(s) beef broth
- 1 bottle(s) dry red wine, preferably Burgundy
- 1/3 cup(s) chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon(s) packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cook the bacon in a heavy Dutch oven set over high heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Season the beef generously with salt and pepper, and toss in the flour. Working in three batches so as not to crowd the pot, add the meat to the pot with the rendered bacon fat. Cook the beef, turning to brown all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the meat to a large bowl.
- Into the same pot, add the onions, carrots, mushrooms, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and cook until the vegetables are light brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the beef.
- Add 1 1/2 c. of the broth to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook, scraping up browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until reduced to a glaze, about 8 minutes.
- Return the meat and vegetables and their juices to the pot. Add the wine, thyme, brown sugar, tomato paste, bay leaf, and the remaining 2 cups of broth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover the pot and place it in the oven. Braise until the beef is tender, about 2 hours. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ad5colorado and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Beef Burgundy Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes