Basic low-salt chicken stock
- 1 whole(s) chicken carcass with some meat left on the bones
- 1 whole(s) large onion quartered
- 3 whole(s) garlic cloves halved
- 3 stalk(s) celery with leaves cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 whole(s) carrot cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 whole(s) cloves
- 6 whole(s) peppercorns
- 1 bunch(es) garni bouquet (fresh parsley, sage, thyme) tied with kitchen string or in cheesecloth
- 9 cup(s) cold water or enough to cover ingredients
- Place chicken pieces, onion, celery, carrot, cloves, peppercorns and herb bouquet in large soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add 9 cups water (or enough to cover all ingedients). Heat on medium high till tiny bubbles appear at surface.
- Turn down to low and simmer for 2 hours or until liquid is reduced by 1/3. While simmering it is ok if there is no bubbling of the broth.
- Remove chicken and vegetables and strain liquid through fine mesh sieve.
- Skim any fat surface (can be helpful to put into refrigerator, once chilled the fat will congeal at the top and can be easily removed).
- Store broth in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cred222 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note