Apple Snow on Phyllo Leaves
Amazingly light and temptingly creamy, this unique recipe is elegant enough for dinner guests. Apple Snow can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 2 days. If you want to make your own applesauce, follow the recipe for Homemade Applesauce. Instead of phyllo cups, use a cookie cutter to cut leaf-shaped sections of phyllo dough and then bake. Instead of cinnamon, try sprinkling apple snow with crumbled vanilla wafers or your favorite cookie.
Chill: 1 Hour
- 2 1/2 cup(s) applesauce, store-bought
- Powdered egg whites and water equivalent to 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 3 sheets (14 by 9 inches) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Ground cinnamon
- Step 1 Place the applesauce in a large bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 In another large bowl, beat the powdered egg whites and water with a mixer on slow speed until they begin to foam, about 1 minute. Add the cream of tartar and beat at high speed until shiny, stiff peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 3 With the mixer still on low speed, add the applesauce, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Then beat the applesauce and egg-white mixture on medium speed for 1 minute until the mixture is stiff enough to hold its shape on the spatula.
- Step 4 Spoon it into a serving bowl, cover with Saran™ Cling Plus® Wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 5 Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Then lightly spray the cups of a standard muffin tin with cooking spray. Also lightly spray three sheets of phyllo dough, dust each with cinnamon, and layer the sheets one on top of the other. Cut into 8 rectangles approximately 3 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches to fill 8 cups of a standard 12-cup muffin tin.
- Step 6 Gently place each phyllo rectangle halfway into the muffin cup, letting the edges come up a bit (as shown in photo). Bake in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes until light golden brown. Carefully remove the baked phyllo cups and cool them on a baking rack. These can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.
- Step 7 Place each phyllo cup on a plate, spoon in apple snow and sprinkle with cinnamon.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note