Apple Crumble Bars
- 3 large tart apples (about 1 3/4 lbs total)
- 3 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Make the filling: Peel, core, and chop the apples in 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside in a bowl
- Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the apples and saute for about 8 minutes until the apples are semi-soft.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, flour, and cinnamon to the apples and stir to combine.
- Cook until mixture begins to bubble, then turn heat to low and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer filling to a bowl and let cool while you make the crust.
- Make the crust: Line a 9 by 13 inch pan with aluminum foil, leaving enough to hang over the edge and act as handles to remove bars after baking. Grease foil.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan and gently press into the bottom of the pan and about 1/4 up the sides, making sure it is level. Set pan aside while you make the streusel.
- Make the streusel: In a stand mixer, combine sugar, flour, and salt and mix to combine.
- Add butter and mix until crumbly and the butter pieces are very small.
- Add pecans and mix just to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread cooled apple filling evenly over the crust, leaving about 3/4 between the pan sides and the filling.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the filling.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the top layer is golden.
- Cool completely on wire rack before removing. Cut into 1 x 3 bars.
- Yield: 39 1 x 3 bars
This recipe is a personal recipe added by burritamcdoo and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note