Angel Food Cake with Berry Sauce
Light and airy angel food cake is topped with a lovely berry sauce for a heavenly dessert. The sauce can also be used to top cake made from a mix. From Taste of Home Test Kitchen. Recipe published in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009.
Cool: 1 Hour
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup(s) confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup(s) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) blueberry vodka
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon(s) water
- 2 1/2 cup(s) fresh raspberries, divided
- 2 cup(s) fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/3 cup(s) unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoon(s) raspberry liqueur
- 2 cup(s) halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup(s) fresh blackberries
- • Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- • Add the cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- • Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- • Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Brush top and sides of cake with vodka. Combine cornstarch and water; set aside.
- • For sauce: In a small saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups raspberries, 1 cup blueberries, pineapple juice and liqueur. Bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- • Remove from the heat; stir in the strawberries, blackberries and remaining raspberries and blueberries. Serve sauce with cake.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note