1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
2) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes (time depends on size of potatoes pieces. They’re ready when you can easily mash one with a fork). Drain, reserving a little bit of the cooking liquid. Mash potatoes with cooking liquid and milk (I get the best consistency if I warm the milk in the microwave before adding it). Add butter and cheddar cheese. Set aside. (Note: I estimated the amount of milk, cheese, and butter – taste it and see if you want to add more of any of them.)
3) In a large skillet, cook onions in beef broth over medium high heat until soft and translucent. Add beef and brown (Note: if not using LEAN beef, drain before next step).
4) Add corn, soup, and salt and pepper to beef mixture; heat through. (At this point everything is cooked so I always taste it to see if it needs more salt and pepper.)
5) Pour meat mixture into baking dish and cover with mashed potatoes.
6) Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are golden and beef mixture is hot and bubbly.
Go to Full Version of