1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Put olive oil in a large pan and add butter. Turn the stove to medium high. In the large Ziploc bag put the package of onion soup mix and the flour. Add the stew meat, seal the bag and shake until all sides of the stew meat are covered. Add the meat to the pan. Sear the meat on all sides until it is nice and crusty, but not burned. Turn off stove.
2. Pour the beef broth and the crushed tomatoes into the crock pot. Fill the soup can with water and add it to the pot. Add meat just cooked.
3. Wash the potatoes and cut them into chunks about the size of the stew meat.
4. Wash and peel the carrots and cut them into chunks about the same size as the potatoes and the stew meat.
5. Add the bay leaf and dried thyme. Put the lid on let bake for 4-6 hours on low.
6. About 20 minutes before you are ready to serve the stew, bring a pot of water to boil for the orzo "maggots". Add 1 cup orzo to the boiling water, return water to a boil, and cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes. Drain the pasta. Now add your maggots to the stew and enjoy. (Add peas if desired, while pasta is cooking).
Go to Full Version of