This was GREAT! I used stew beef and doubled the sweet potatoes. It may take an extra hour for the veggies to cook.
Two-Potato Lamb Stew with Roasted Garlic
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 316
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 20.6g
- Carbohydrate: 35.4g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 526mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 1 garlic head
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups less-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 10 ounces)
- 2 1/2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 10 ounces)
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) slices peeled parsnip (about 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap garlic head in foil. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until tender; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add 4 garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Spoon onion mixture into a bowl.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Dredge lamb in flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of lamb mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add browned lamb to onion mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining lamb mixture, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in lamb mixture and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until lamb is just tender.
- Stir in potatoes and parsnip. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in roasted garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and rosemary; simmer 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews