Fabulous recipe. I used whole wheat bread crumbs, low fat sour cream and only one egg. Also cut the amount of butter in half, but it was delicious. I did sprinkle an extra handfull of parmesan over the top before baking. Definitely a keeper.
Two-Cheese Squash Casserole
- 4 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large skillet 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender. Drain well; gently press between paper towels.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in squash, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and next 7 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir together melted butter, remaining 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note