I don't even like normal macaroni and cheese, but this is delicious. My whole family loves it! (Including the kids who eat mac and cheese out of the box.)
Two-Cheese Mac and Cheese
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 358
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 14.4g
- Carbohydrate: 40.7g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 409mg
- Calcium: 170mg
- 10 ounce large elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 1/4 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 8 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Set aside.
- 2. Preheat broiler to high.
- 3. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic to pan; cook 3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently (do not brown). Stir in 1 cup stock; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute. Combine remaining 1 1/4 cups stock, milk, and flour; stir with a whisk until flour dissolves. Add milk mixture to garlic mixture, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Remove milk mixture from heat; add cream cheese, stirring until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper. Add cooked pasta to milk mixture, tossing to coat. Let stand 5 minutes. Pour pasta mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cheddar evenly over pasta mixture. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Let stand 5 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note