A good, solid soup for cold weather, and easy to prepare, too. I used a low-sodium vegetable broth, and as my bunch of kale yielded about 5.5 or 6 cups, I added some baby spinach at the end with vinegar and rosemary. The first night I thought it needed a pinch more salt, but after the flavors melded overnight, found the saltiness just fine, However the flavor of the vinegar, which added a nice note to the just-made soup, faded in the leftovers. My only complaint is that with a serving stated to be 1.25 cups, the recipe yielded only 6 servings instead of 8 (a problem I seem to have quite often with Cooking Light's soup and stew recipes).
Two-Bean Soup with Kale
This hearty vegetarian soup warms up chilly nights. Use any type of canned beans you happen to have on hand, and add rotisserie chicken or Italian sausage for a heftier dish, if you prefer.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 11.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30.5g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 593mg
- Calcium: 189mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Emeril's), divided
- 7 cups stemmed, chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, and celery, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups vegetable broth and kale. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until kale is crisp-tender.
- 2. Place half of cannellini beans and remaining 1 cup vegetable broth in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add pureed bean mixture, remaining cannellini beans, black beans, and pepper to soup. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, and rosemary.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note