Prep and Cook Time: about 3 1/2 hours, plus at least 1 1/2 hours to chill and set. Notes: You can store these cookies (before or after glazing) airtight for up to 2 days.
Yield: Makes about 65 double cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 71
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 0.6g
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 11mg
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lightly beaten egg white
- 1. In a food processor or bowl, whirl or stir flour, sugar, and salt to blend. Add butter; whirl or cut in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 2. In another bowl, whisk the egg, vanilla, lemon peel, and lemon juice to blend. Add to flour mixture in food processor or bowl; whirl or stir until the dough forms a ball.
- 3. Divide dough into thirds. Roll each portion, between sheets of waxed paper or cooking parchment, into a round 1/8 inch thick. Stack and freeze rounds until firm, about 30 minutes (or chill for about 2 hours).
- 4. Cut out shapes with a floured, 2-inch, 5-point star cutter. Space cookies 1/2 inch apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 5. Bake cookies in a 325° oven until pale golden at tips, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 150°.
- 6. In a 1-quart pan over medium heat, stir jam until melted. Push through a fine strainer, discard residue, and return liquid to pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally. Let cool just until warm to touch, 7 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons water until smooth.
- 7. Brush cookies with jam, then place slightly apart on 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. With a clean pastry brush, paint a thin film of powdered sugar glaze over each cookie to completely cover jam (beginning with the cookies coated earliest with jam).
- 8. Bake cookies until glaze is set and dry, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.
- 9. In a small bowl, stir remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the egg white until smooth. To assemble cookies, spoon a dot (1/8 teaspoon) of powdered sugar mixture in center of one cookie, then gently press another cookie on top, with star points offset.
- 10. Let cookies stand until icing is set, about 1 hour. Serve, store airtight up to 2 days, or freeze.
- Nutritional analysis is per double cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts