I had a request for sweet potato without marshmallows for Thanksgiving. So I decided to go one step further and make a savory sweet potato recipe instead of the usual sweet recipe. This was outstanding. I baked the sweet potatoes the day before (in fact I accidently overbaked them). Then peeled and stored in a freezer bag in the rerigerater overnight. A lot of water came out of them and I had to drain them. They were pretty mushy and would not have maintained a wedge shape so I just sliced in rounds and layered in a casserole. Despite the mushiness, they turned out very yummy.
Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Sesame Crust
We relied on the microwave for what it does best; heating small amounts of liquid. Here's another time-saver if you need your oven fo rthe turkey or a roast. Bake the sweet potatoes first. After the meat is done, glaze the potato wedges, and finish cooking them in the oven for 15 minutes.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 221
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 46.4g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 74mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- 8 small sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Wrap potatoes in foil; bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel and cut each potato into 6 wedges; set aside.
- Combine apple juice concentrate and next 4 ingredients (concentrate through ginger) in a microwave-safe bowl, and set aside. Combine sesame seeds and pepper in a bowl; set aside.
- Place potato wedges on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Brush wedges with apple juice mixture, and sprinkle with sesame seed mixture. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Microwave remaining apple juice mixture at high 30 seconds or until hot, and drizzle over potato wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Sesame Crust Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Winter, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Thanksgiving
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light