Tuscan Tomato Bread Salad
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 298
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 8.7g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Sodium: 1239mg
- Cholesterol: 4.1mg
- 1 quart lightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 quart lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound coarse-textured Italian bread such as ciabatta or pugliese
- 3 1/2 pounds soft-ripe tomatoes, peeled if desired and cored
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño chilies
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar (12 oz.) peeled roasted red peppers, cut into wide strips
- 1 cup oil-packed olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup drained capers
- 2 cans (2 oz. each) anchovy fillets, drained
- 1. Rinse and drain spinach and basil; wrap in towels. Chill in a plastic bag.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut bread into 1-inch chunks and put in an 11- by 17-inch roasting pan. Bake in a 350° oven until chunks are light golden and soft parts of bread are crisp, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
- 3. Cut tomatoes into 1- to 2-inch chunks and place in a large bowl. Scoop juice from cutting board into bowl and add garlic, oil, vinegar, chilies, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Gently mix tomatoes with bread, red peppers, and olives. Let stand at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, for bread to soften. Gently mix in spinach and basil. Scatter salad with capers and crisscross anchovies on top.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note