This so incredibly good. I made it for dinner last night just for one, using a brown-and-serve french sourdough roll and adding 3 oz. of shrimp quickly sauteed in the olive oil with garlic. I also added considerably more greens, including baby kale and spinach. And the eggplant things are great--I simplified by splitting small eggplants down the middle, cooking face down, then topping with a bit of parmesan & black pepper, so it was like an eggplant "breadstick."
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 255
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 39.9g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 708mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- 4 (1-ounce) slices Italian bread
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Trim crusts from bread slices; discard crusts. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; coat bread with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until toasted.
- Combine basil and next 4 ingredients (basil through beans) in a large bowl. Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour over tomato mixture; toss to coat. Add bread; toss well. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note