Wonderful Cake! I had to play with the Compote a bit, but I added some raisins soaked in Grappa, and I sprinkled a little sugar on the grapefruit and allowed it to macerate for about 15 minutes. Also, since clementine are grown in Italy as well I think using them might also help the compote better compliment the cake. Overall it got great reviews at my Italian Dinner, so well worth the try.
Tuscan Cake with Citrus Compote
Photo: Romulo Yanes, Randy Mayor; Styling: Mary-Ellen Weinrib
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 10.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 48.9g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 211mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated grapefruit rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (6-ounce) container plain low-fat yogurt
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1.5 ounces fine yellow cornmeal (about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 large red grapefruit
- 4 large oranges
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. To prepare cake, place sugar and oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add rinds, vanilla, and yogurt; beat until combined.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour and cornmeal into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to oil mixture; stir with a whisk just until combined. Pour batter into a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove sides from pan. Cool cake completely on rack.
- 4. To prepare compote, peel and section grapefruit and oranges over a medium bowl, reserving juices; place sections in another bowl. Combine reserved juices and lime juice in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in honey and allspice; reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes or until syrupy. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Pour over fruit sections; toss gently. Chill. Serve compote over cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts