Tuscan Bread and Tomato Salad (Panzanella)
Thayer Allyson Gowdy
Prep and Cook Time: 40 minutes. Notes: Serve with a selection of fruits and cheeses.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 420
- Calories from fat: 69%
- Protein: 5.6g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Sodium: 1260mg
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 12-inch length of baguette
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 very ripe assorted tomatoes (3 lb.), large ones chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn into pieces or cut into ribbons
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small pan over medium heat, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, the butter, and garlic; stir until butter melts, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Cut baguette into 1/2-inch cubes and put in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan. Pour oil mixture over bread and mix well. Bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let bread cool in pan.
- 3. In a bowl, mix remaining olive oil, the vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and bread cubes. Serve at room temperature in shallow bowls, garnished with basil.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This