- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 12-inch length of baguette
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 very ripe assorted tomatoes (3 lb.), large ones chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn into pieces or cut into ribbons
- calories 420
- caloriesfromfat 69 %
- protein 5.6 g
- fat 32 g
- satfat 7.4 g
- carbohydrate 32 g
- fiber 5.4 g
- sodium 1260 mg
- cholesterol 16 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. In a small pan over medium heat, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, the butter, and garlic; stir until butter melts, about 2 minutes.
Cut baguette into 1/2-inch cubes and put in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan. Pour oil mixture over bread and mix well. Bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let bread cool in pan.
In a bowl, mix remaining olive oil, the vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and bread cubes. Serve at room temperature in shallow bowls, garnished with basil.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.