- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) Italian bread slices
- 2 medium-size sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 6 tablespoons light balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 (3/4-inch-thick) BEEF Top Loin Steaks (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 6 medium-size plum tomatoes, chopped (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Garnishes: fresh basil leaves, freshly cracked pepper
- calories 335
- fat 11 g
- satfat 4 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 30 g
- carbohydrate 27 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 51 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 875 mg
- calcium 110 mg
How to Make It
Preheat a charcoal grill to medium, ash-covered coals or a gas grill to 300° to 350° (medium) heat. Brush one side of bread and onion with 2 Tbsp. vinaigrette. Sprinkle onion with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
Grill steaks and onion at the same time. Grill steaks on a charcoal grill, without grill lid, 10 to 12 minutes, or on a gas grill, covered with grill lid, 7 to 10 minutes. Grill onion, on one side only, on a charcoal grill, without grill lid, 8 minutes or until tender and grill marks appear, or on a gas grill, covered with grill lid, 6 minutes or until tender and grill marks appear.
Remove steaks and onion from grill. Sprinkle steaks with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Let steaks stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, grill bread on a charcoal grill, without grill lid, 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and grill marks appear, or on a gas grill, covered with grill lid, 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and grill marks appear.
Carve steaks into thin strips. Cut strips into bite-size pieces. Coarsely chop onion. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
Toss steak pieces, onion, bread, tomatoes, and basil with remaining 4 Tbsp. vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.