Notes: Instead of cannellinis, you can use Great Northern beans.
Yield: Makes about 9 cups
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 347
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Protein: 28g
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 31g
- Sodium: 424mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- 1 1/2 pounds dried cannellini (white) beans
- 6 ounces thin-sliced prosciutto
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- About 6 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes (about 6 oz. total), rinsed, cored, and chopped
- 1. Sort beans and discard debris. Rinse and drain beans.
- 2. Finely chop prosciutto.
- 3. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir carrot, celery, onion, and garlic in oil until onion is limp, about 4 minutes. Add prosciutto and stir just until mixture is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Add beans, rosemary, 6 cups broth, 2 cups water, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender to bite, 2 to 2 1/2 hours; stir occasionally.
- 5. Purée 1 cup beans in a food processor or blender, then stir into beans. Add broth if beans are too thick. If making ahead, cool, cover, and chill up to 1 day. Reheat, thinning with more broth. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note