- 1 1/2 pounds dried cannellini (white) beans
- 6 ounces thin-sliced prosciutto
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- About 6 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes (about 6 oz. total), rinsed, cored, and chopped
- calories 347
- caloriesfromfat 12 %
- protein 28 g
- fat 4.6 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- carbohydrate 51 g
- fiber 31 g
- sodium 424 mg
- cholesterol 15 mg
How to Make It
Sort beans and discard debris. Rinse and drain beans.
Finely chop prosciutto.
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir carrot, celery, onion, and garlic in oil until onion is limp, about 4 minutes. Add prosciutto and stir just until mixture is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add beans, rosemary, 6 cups broth, 2 cups water, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender to bite, 2 to 2 1/2 hours; stir occasionally.
Purée 1 cup beans in a food processor or blender, then stir into beans. Add broth if beans are too thick. If making ahead, cool, cover, and chill up to 1 day. Reheat, thinning with more broth. Add salt to taste.