Made this with chicken breasts and thighs. After starting the recipe, I discovered that I only had pinto beans, no cannelini beans, so I used those. Added a little garlic in with the onions. Husband and drop-in dinner guest loved it--I thought it was good, but not remarkable. Coworkers snarfed up the leftovers the next day and declared it delicious. I'm outnumbered. I'd have given it 3 stars, they all voted for 5, so we compromised on 4. It is cheap, easy and doesn't require ingredients that you wouldn't have around the kitchen. That's saying something right there.
Tuscan Baked Chicken and Beans
This savory Italian-inspired recipe is a wonderful way to prepare a budget-friendly whole chicken. Fresh rosemary, cannellini beans, and canned diced tomatoes make this dish flavorful, yet simple to prepare.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 36g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 759mg
- Calcium: 238mg
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) roasting chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups packed torn spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Trim excess fat. Cut chicken into 2 breast halves, 2 drumsticks, and 2 thighs. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook bacon in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; chop and set aside, reserving drippings in pan. Add chicken pieces to reserved drippings in pan; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan; set aside.
- 3. Add onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in bacon, spinach, rosemary, beans, and tomatoes; remove from heat. Arrange chicken pieces on top; bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Discard skin before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note