This is my go to recipe when the first turnips are ready in the spring. I use all turnips because I have them in the garden. I have also used white cheddar and it is also great. This is a keeper recipe.
A mandoline will slice the veggies into uniform thickness and make quick work of it. Use a flavorful aged Gruyère cheese, if you can find it. If not, substitute an equally assertive cheese, such as aged cheddar, Gouda, or a pungent soft-ripened cheese, like Brie.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 196
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 22.8g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 424mg
- Calcium: 236mg
- 3 3/4 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices peeled turnip
- 3 3/4 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices peeled parsnip
- 6 cups water
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; let stand 5 minutes. Arrange about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture into each of 8 (5 1/2-inch) round gratin dishes coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Combine milk, broth, flour, salt, and pepper in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer. Cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk until thick. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spoon about 3 tablespoons sauce over each serving.
- 4. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add panko; toast 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over cheese mixture. Place dishes on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note