I made this for a company dinner and was very happy with the results. I am not accustomed to preparing turnips and this was a nice introduction to the food.
Turnip and Leek Mashed Potatoes
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Total: 35 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 179
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Sodium: 357mg
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound cubed peeled turnip
- 2/3 cup warm half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped leek
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Press potatoes through a ricer back into pan, or mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- 2. Add half-and-half, 1 tablespoon melted butter, kosher salt, and black pepper; stir well. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add leek; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir into potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note