More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 166
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 25.8g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 372mg
- Calcium: 189mg
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup fat-free milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 3 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place turnips in a large saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add potatoes to pan, and simmer for 8 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain. Sprinkle turnips and potatoes evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and arrange slices in an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine 1/4 cup milk, flour, and 1/4 teaspoon thyme in a medium saucepan, and stir with a whisk until well blended. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook over medium heat for 7 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and add Gruyère cheese, stirring until smooth. Pour cheese mixture over turnip and potato slices, and toss gently.
- Combine seasoned breadcrumbs and butter; sprinkle over turnip mixture. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables