Turnip Greens with Turnips
Bacon may be substituted for salt pork.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 (1-pound) packages prewashed fresh turnip greens
- 2 turnips
- 1/4 pound salt pork (streak of lean) or smoked pork shoulder
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper Sauce (optional)
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens. Peel and coarsely chop turnips; set aside. Wash greens thoroughly; drain and tear into 2-inch pieces.
- Bring salt pork and 1 quart water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour or until liquid is reduced by half and meat is tender. Add greens, bacon drippings, and sugar; cook, without stirring, 30 minutes or until greens are tender.
- Add turnips; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until turnips are tender. Serve with Pepper Sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This