This was an easy recipe to make and everyone in my family, even my kids, enjoyed it! The only thing I would change when I make it again, is to add either canned tuna or canned chicken. I'm not exactly sure how much would be needed, though. It doesn't necessarily need them added, because it was great just the way I made it! My husband thought it needed "something more" to make it a meal.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- Combine turnips and water to cover in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well; transfer to a large bowl, and mash with a potato masher.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat; add onion, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add onion, milk, 1 cup Cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and remaining 3 tablespoons butter to mashed turnips, stirring to combine. Spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables