Turnip, Apple, and Cheddar Gratin
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices, divided
- 1/2 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices, divided
- 1/2 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon fine-grained sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Garnish: sliced green onion
- Sauté onion in olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 15 to 20 more minutes or until onion is tender, stirring often. Uncover and cook, stirring constantly, 5 to 10 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat.
- Grease 10-inch cast-iron skillet with butter. Layer half of turnip, potato, and apple slices in skillet; sprinkle with half the onion, rosemary, thyme, sea salt, pepper, and cheese. Repeat procedure.
- Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes or until tender. Let stand 15 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables