Turkey with Bacon and Greens
- 1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard, long stems removed, leaves chopped and washed well
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 turkey cutlets (about 1 1/4 pounds in all)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1. Put the Swiss chard and the water in a medium pot. In a large nonstick frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Pour off and reserve all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat, which you should leave in the pan.
- 2. Put the pan with the one tablespoon of fat over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds longer. Add the mixture to the Swiss chard. Bring the water to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat until the greens are wilted and tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat in the frying pan over moderately high heat. Season the turkey cutlets with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Cook until just done, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the cutlets from the pan so that they don't overcook.
- 4. Remove the Swiss chard from the heat. Stir in the sour cream and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Remove the greens from the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving the sauce. Divide the greens among four plates. Top each pile of chard with a turkey cutlet. Spoon some of the sauce over the top and sprinkle with the bacon.
- Menu Suggestions: Since the recipe includes a vegetable, you can finish off the meal simply with steak fries or buttered orzo.
- Wine Recommendation: This quick sauté will be great with a fairly acidic red wine, which will cut through the richness of the bacon and match the acidity of the sour cream. Look for a Beaujolais or try a grenache-based wine from California. Serve it slightly chilled.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes