- 4.5 ounces self-rising flour (about 1 cup)
- 4.5 ounces white whole-wheat flour (about 1 cup), divided
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 9 tablespoons nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced cremini mushrooms
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 3 cups diced peeled Yukon gold potato
- 4 thyme sprigs (optional)
- calories 310
- fat 10.2 g
- satfat 4.3 g
- monofat 4.1 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 24 g
- carbohydrate 29 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 60 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 511 mg
- calcium 106 mg
- sugars 5 g
- Est. Added Sugars 0 g
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Weigh or lightly spoon self-rising flour and 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flours in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, 2 teaspoons thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss with a fork until moist. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray (about 24 total). Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until browned. Cool.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl. Add half of turkey; cook 3 minutes. Remove cooked turkey from pan. Repeat with remaining turkey.
Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to pan. Add remaining 2 tablespoons thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion, and next 5 ingredients (through mushrooms); cook 5 minutes. Combine remaining 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour and stock in a bowl. Add stock mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Add potato; cook 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and turkey; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until stew is thickened. Top with thyme sprigs, if desired, and serve with biscuits, or follow freezing instructions.
HOW-TO Freeze: Cool stew and biscuits completely. Freeze separately in zip-top plastic freezer bags. Thaw: Microwave stew in bag at MEDIUM (50% power) for 4 minutes or until pliable. Reheat: Pour stew into a Dutch oven; simmer 20 minutes. Bake biscuits at 350° for 25 minutes.