Turkey Tortilla Pie
Basically turkey à la king with Southwestern undertones, this dish is easy to assemble and appreciated on a chilly evening. Serve it with a crisp green salad topped with orange and avocado slices and thinly sliced red onion. Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 17 minutes; Bake: 20 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 large green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 3 tablespoons diced canned green chiles (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- Garnishes: Salsa, sour cream, minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add green onions, salt, and pepper, and cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms, and cook 10 minutes or until tender. Add chili powder and flour, and cook 1 minute. Add milk, and simmer 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken; remove from heat. Add more chili powder, if desired. Add turkey, pimientos, and green chiles. Stir in sour cream.
- 2. Arrange 4 tortillas side by side in a microwave-proof dish. Cover with dampened paper towel, and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- 3. Arrange 4 tortillas in a 10-inch pie plate, cover with half the turkey mixture, and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas, turkey, and cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note