"Making the most of Thanksgiving leftovers" by Michael Hastings. Updated version of a classic dish. If radicchio is unavailable, try baby spinach or Napa cabbage. Recipe adapted from "The Sunset Essential Western Cookbook". Winston-Salem Journal: November 21, 2012.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 leeks
- 5 tablespoon(s) butter, divided
- 2 portobella mushroom caps, cubed
- 1 1/2 cup(s) (1/4 pound) sliced button mushrooms
- 5 teaspoon(s) salt, divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 1 pound(s) medium egg noodles
- 3 tablespoon(s) flour
- 2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) dry sherry
- 1 cup(s) half-and-half
- 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cup(s) cubed or shredded (1/2-inch pieces) cooked turkey
- About 1/3 cup(s) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped radicchio leaves, or baby spinach or shredded Napa cabbage (optional)
- 1. Cut off and discard root ends and dark green leaves of leeks. Cut leeks in half lengthwise and swish around in a large bowl of water to rinse; transfer to a colander, leaving dirt behind, and rinse again in fresh water if necessary. Thinly slice crosswise into semicircles.
- 2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 5-quart saucepan (or Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add leeks, mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, and the nutmeg; cook, stirring often until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown, 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer leek mixture to a bowl and set aside. Set aside pan with cooking juices in it.
- 3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 3 teaspoons salt and the egg noodles and cook until they are barely tender to the bite. Drain noodles and set aside, covered.
- 4. While noodles are cooking, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in same frying pan or saucepan. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring until mixture looks glossy and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Whisk in broth and sherry and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in half-and-half and Parmesan. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt if needed. Reduce heat to low, return pan to heat and stir in leek mixture, turkey and 1/3 cup parsley.
- 5. Just before serving, stir in radicchio. Serve over cooked noodles and garnish with more chopped parsley.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note