Good recipe. I used rotisserie chicken, rotini pasta, and half & half. It was very moist and easy to make. Next time I would mix in a green vegetable: cut up broccoli or asparagus, peas, or spinach, for color and added texture. Served with a fruit salad and bread.
The original Tetrazzini was made with thin spaghetti, but we find fusilli or gemelli easier to eat. If you prefer, use 8 ounces of thin spaghetti #9, but break the noodles in two before cooking. This dish is equally tasty made with leftover or rotisserie chicken, cooked shrimp, or chunk white (albacore) tuna. Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 14 minutes; Bake: 25 minutes.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sherry or port
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked fusilli or gemelli
- 3 cups cooked turkey, diced
- 1 cup fine, fresh (soft) breadcrumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large, deep, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and green onions, and sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Transfer to a large plate.
- 2. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter in skillet, and add flour, stirring until smooth, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth and half-and-half. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly thickened and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan and next 3 ingredients. Fold in mushroom mixture, cooked pasta, and turkey. Return to medium heat, and cook until thoroughly heated.
- 3. Transfer to a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch (2-quart) baking dish. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; mix in breadcrumbs and remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Sprinkle topping evenly over dish. Place on middle oven rack, and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbling and beginning to brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles