- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sherry or port
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked fusilli or gemelli
- 3 cups cooked turkey, diced
- 1 cup fine, fresh (soft) breadcrumbs
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large, deep, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and green onions, and sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Transfer to a large plate.
Melt 2 more tablespoons butter in skillet, and add flour, stirring until smooth, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth and half-and-half. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly thickened and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan and next 3 ingredients. Fold in mushroom mixture, cooked pasta, and turkey. Return to medium heat, and cook until thoroughly heated.
Transfer to a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch (2-quart) baking dish. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; mix in breadcrumbs and remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Sprinkle topping evenly over dish. Place on middle oven rack, and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbling and beginning to brown.