Turkey Tamale Pie
To reduce fat in this old family standby, Joan Stanley replaced the ground beef with turkey. At first her husband found the turkey too pale for his taste, she says, but when she cooked it with chili powder, it resembled his familiar favorite.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 430
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Sodium: 967mg
- Cholesterol: 78mg
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 3/4 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 jar (14 oz.) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1 package (8 1/2 oz.) cornbread mix
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat jack cheese (optional)
- 1. Place oil in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Crumble turkey into pan. Add onions. Cook and stir until onions are limp, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water, spaghetti sauce, and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, lightly beat together egg and milk. Stir in chilies and cornbread mix.
- 3. Pour hot turkey mixture into a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle cheese over turkey mixture. Spread cornbread batter evenly over cheese. Bake, uncovered, in a 375° oven until cornbread topping is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Scoop out servings with a spoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This