I think they should rework these directions. For one thing, I've never known rice to cook any time recipe calls for uncooked?? I always precook or use leftover rice (within 1 or 2 days only) because I don't like crunchy rice? Like one reviewer says, we've got to up the spices on turkey, it has almost no, really no flavor on it's own, especially ground turkey. Think of it as a blank canvas and go to town painting it with your favorite spices. Using pre cooked rice makes this dish much, MUCH better! I also added Italian Seasonings: Basil, Oregano, Garlic Powder (never salt*), plus I sprinkled a little BBQ spice on the turkey and it came out great!
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Lynn Miller
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 421
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Protein: 32g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Sodium: 1155mg
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 8 ounces mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 6 bell peppers (any color), tops removed, hollowed
- 1 32-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine sausage, rice, mozzarella and basil. Spoon mixture into peppers, filling each one about 3/4 full. Place peppers in slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over peppers. Pour broth around sides of peppers.
- 2. Cover and cook on low until peppers are softened, rice is tender and filling is cooked through (an instant-read thermometer stuck into filling should read 165ºF), 5 to 6 hours. Sprinkle peppers with Parmesan and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note