I almost didn't make this recipe based on some of the reviews. I'm sure glad I did, it was delicious and easy! I used Italian turkey sausage, as the recipe said, and didn't find it bland at all. Also I cooked it for about 8 hours on low because I had to make it in the morning before work in order to have sufficient cooking time, so undercooked rice was not an issue for mine. I am making it again tonight.
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Lynn Miller
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 421
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Protein: 32g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Sodium: 1155mg
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 8 ounces mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 6 bell peppers (any color), tops removed, hollowed
- 1 32-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine sausage, rice, mozzarella and basil. Spoon mixture into peppers, filling each one about 3/4 full. Place peppers in slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over peppers. Pour broth around sides of peppers.
- 2. Cover and cook on low until peppers are softened, rice is tender and filling is cooked through (an instant-read thermometer stuck into filling should read 165ºF), 5 to 6 hours. Sprinkle peppers with Parmesan and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note