Good base, but I did make a few changes; halved the oil, doubled the meat and squash, added 1/3 cup of tomatoe sauce, used 1 can Rotel tomatoes in place of plain diced tomatoes, doubled the cumin and chili powder (used about a 1/4 tsp. of chipotle chili powder combined with the regular chili powder). The butternut squash gives the chili a nice sweet and spicy flavor and along with added nutritional benefits.
Turkey, Squash and Black Bean Chili
Butternut squash adds additional nutrients, flavor, and bulk to Turkey, Squash and Black Bean Chili. Serve this easy one-dish dinner over brown rice, or with warm corn tortillas or cornbread on the side.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Sodium: 1191mg
- 8 ounces peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1. Place squash in a microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave on high until soft when pierced with a paring knife, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add turkey, chili powder, cumin and salt; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until meat is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3. Stir in tomatoes, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until tomatoes have cooked down and mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add squash and beans; cook, stirring, until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note