- 3 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 1/4 pounds hot turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano (such as Hunt's)
- 1 (7-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- calories 303
- fat 9.6 g
- satfat 3.6 g
- protein 22.3 g
- carbohydrate 31.7 g
- cholesterol 68 mg
- iron 3.1 mg
- sodium 769 mg
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- fiber 2.4 g
- calcium 142 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion, mushrooms, and celery; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, pimiento, and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until almost all liquid has evaporated.
Combine sausage mixture and hot cooked pasta in a large bowl, mixing well. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.