- 1/2 pound sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage (about 2 links)
- 1 3/4 cups very thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1 large bulb)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced lengthwise leeks (about 2 medium leeks)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) Italian bread shell (such as Boboli)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fennel leaves (optional)
- calories 330
- fat 10.9 g
- satfat 3.5 g
- protein 18.3 g
- carbohydrate 40.3 g
- fiber 2.2 g
- cholesterol 36 mg
- iron 3.9 mg
- sodium 792 mg
- calcium 318 mg
How to Make It
Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is browned, stirring until it crumbles. Remove from skillet; set aside.
Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Cook fennel and leek in hot oil, stirring constantly in skillet over medium heat 8 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
Place bread shell on an ungreased baking sheet or pizza pan. Spread pizza sauce evenly over crust. Top with cooked vegetables, sausage, onion slices, and cheese.
Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chopped fennel leaves, if desired.