Turkey Pot Pies with Cornbread Crust
- 3 large carrots, scraped and sliced
- 1 large baking potato, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth or homemade turkey stock
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cooked turkey
- 1 (7-ounce) can mexicorn, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (11.5-ounce) can refrigerated cornbread twists
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
- Cook carrot and potato in boiling water to cover 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cook onion in butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Gradually add flour, stirring until blended. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vegetables, turkey, and next 4 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Mixture will become very thick.)
- Reheat turkey mixture in Dutch oven over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Stir in beans. Spoon turkey mixture evenly into 6 (2-cup) ovenproof soup bowls.
- Unroll cornbread dough into 16 strips. Twist 2 strips together and place over each pot pie. (Bake remaining 4 strips for another use.)
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 17 to 20 minutes or until cornbread is browned. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This