- 3 large carrots, scraped and sliced
- 1 large baking potato, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth or homemade turkey stock
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cooked turkey
- 1 (7-ounce) can mexicorn, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (11.5-ounce) can refrigerated cornbread twists
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
How to Make It
Cook carrot and potato in boiling water to cover 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
Cook onion in butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Gradually add flour, stirring until blended. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
Stir in vegetables, turkey, and next 4 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Mixture will become very thick.)
Reheat turkey mixture in Dutch oven over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Stir in beans. Spoon turkey mixture evenly into 6 (2-cup) ovenproof soup bowls.
Unroll cornbread dough into 16 strips. Twist 2 strips together and place over each pot pie. (Bake remaining 4 strips for another use.)
Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 17 to 20 minutes or until cornbread is browned. Garnish, if desired.