More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 313
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 44g
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sodium: 355mg
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- 3 dried New Mexico or California chilies (1 oz. total)
- 1 dried pasilla chili (1/4 oz.)
- 4 to 6 dried small hot red chilies (1/8 oz. total)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame seed
- 1 corn tortilla (6 in.), torn into pieces
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon anise seed, crushed (see notes)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 3/4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 pounds boned, skinned turkey breast or thighs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- About 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 1. Wipe New Mexico, pasilla, and small chilies clean with a damp cloth. Stem and seed chilies, then place in a bowl with hot water to cover. Let stand until chilies are pliable, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2. Drain chilies, reserving liquid.
- 3. In a food processor or blender, whirl chilies, peanut butter, sesame seed, tortilla, onion, tomato paste, chocolate, anise seed, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, and broth until smoothly ground.
- 4. In a 5- to 6-quart pan (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat, brown half of the turkey in 1 teaspoon oil, turning as needed, about 8 minutes. (With a regular pan, you may need a little more oil.) Pour into a bowl; repeat to cook remaining turkey in oil and pour into bowl.
- 5. Add chili mixture to pan. Stirring often, bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes to blend flavors; stir often.
- 6. Add turkey and any juices to sauce. Stir in about 1/2 cup reserved chili water to thin sauce. Season to taste with salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes