- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup scallions, finely minced and divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 8 ounces white or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided, plus more for serving
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound dried pasta, such as rotini, cooked according to package directions
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup scallions, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes more. Add broth; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Combine breadcrumbs and milk in a small bowl, and let soak 10 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup Parmesan, remaining 1/2 cup scallions, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and next 4 ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir in breadcrumb mixture, and form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs.
Add meatballs to sauce; cover and simmer 20 minutes more. Add cream, and return to a simmer. Add remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan, and stir until sauce is slightly thickened.
Add drained cooked pasta and sauce to pot, and toss gently to combine. Serve with additional Parmesan.